This unit covers the competency required to undertake rescue in confined spaces, as defined in AS 2865-2009 Confined spaces, as a member of a single agency or multi-disciplinary team.
The application of this unit in the workplace covers a range of confined space rescue situations.
The unit is typically performed by personnel from emergency services and/or volunteer organisations or organisations where confined space work is undertaken.
What you will learn includes:
- operate atmospheric monitoring equipment
- operate isolation systems
- operate lifting equipment
- operate lowering and hauling systems
- operate self contained breathing apparatus and airline equipment
- operate ventilation equipment
- Australian Standard (AS) 2865-2009 Confined spaces
- lock, tag out and isolation procedures
- organisational procedures for cleaning and discarding equipment in terms of environmental management and sustainability
- potential occupational hazards and control measures
- procedures for atmospheric monitoring
- purging and ventilation in accordance with national standards
- selection, use and maintenance of respiratory devices
- use of ropes and knots for accessing confined space